Position Objective: Coordinate and implement exceptional, mission-based science education programs for all ages and demographics.
Hours: 3/4-time Feb–May (Tues-Sat, ~9am-2pm): Full-time June-August. Not to exceed 999 hours annually.
Description of Job Duties:
Under the supervision of the Education Supervisor, provide coordination and implementation of all zoo education activities and programs.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Performs support functions in the development, planning, promotion, organization, implementation and evaluation of zoo education programs and/or activities associated with, but not limited to: camps, school field trips, afterschool clubs, volunteer interpreter program, events and community outreach
- Supports the development of standards based curriculum for school field trips
- Develops and publishes marketing and informational materials
- Assists with the development and maintenance of interpretive displays
- Handles a variety of zoo animals in classroom, exhibits, and open space environments
- Assists with recruitment, training and evaluation of Education Aide staff
- Maintains a positive working relationship with staff and communicates regularly with appropriate others to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of interdepartmental operations and activities
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and at least one year of similar or related experience
- Must have experience in the field of education and/or working with youth
- Must be able to work a variety of hours including holidays, weekends and overnighters
- Must be able to perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines
- Must be self-directed and have the ability to work independently, but also be a positive contributor when working in a team-centered environment
- Must have good attention to detail, communication skills (reading, writing and public speaking) and the ability to complete assignments from inception to completion
- Must be proficient on Microsoft based computer applications. Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suites and graphics design a plus
- Must have an interest in working around zoo animals and the public
- Must value wildlife conservation and captive animal management
- Must have the ability to follow technical directions and policies, asking questions when necessary
- Must undergo TB test, background check and drug screening
- Must have own transportation to and from Sequoia Park Zoo, Eureka.
Please submit your complete application, cover letter and resume to:
Sequoia Park Zoo, Attn: Education Coordinator Position, 3414 W St, Eureka, CA 95503