Sequoia Park Forest & Garden
Sequoia Park is a 67 acre facility next to Sequoia Park Zoo that features walking and bicycle trails through the redwood forest, meadows, duck pond and two small creeks. The park includes two playgrounds, open turf grass, picnic tables, a restroom, group picnic area and a gazebo bandstand. Just outside the zoo’s northern perimeter is the Sequoia Park Garden, a gorgeous collection of dahlias and other colorful blooms maintained by volunteers Dave and Sylvia Douglas. The garden also features a wishing well and gazebo seating area.
The land of Sequoia Park was donated to the City of Eureka in 1894 by Bartlin and Henrietta Glatt as the last large stand of redwood trees in the city. Although logging did occur within the park, some of the original 40 acres of old-growth forest is still standing in the park gulch areas.
Sequoia Park has designated parking locations, an accessible sidewalk to picnic sites, an accessible restroom and a total of over a mile of wheelchair and baby buggy accessible asphalt paved trails. One trail is the old maintenance road that runs through the forest behind the zoo and the second is the Sequoia Creek Trail that heads west from the Duck Pond through meadows and loops back along a forested creek.
For more information on Sequoia Park, including gazebo rental reservations, visit the City of Eureka’s website.